So out with the old, in with the new! Its time to do a final harvest of all our cold weather veggies.
Here's a tasty salad from our winter garden x3...that's how many times I tried to get a decent picture of the girls.
Today it was time to rip out all of the carrots and onions. Many of them probably could have used some more grow-time. But like I said, I'm anxious for watermelons and tomatoes (I'm anticipating actually growing some this year)

Girls getting down to work
Girls getting down to work
Here's all my onions and carrots. Well, not ALL. I pulled up carrots all winter long whenever I was making a recipe requiring some. This is all that was left in the ground as of today. The onions are a little on the pathetic side (I planted them back in October!) I'm just happy they grew though. I bought the little starter bulbs a coupl years ago and they'd been shovd in some forgotten corner of the garage the whole time. The fact they grew at all is amazing.
Lessons learned this year: Don't grow radishes, no one will eat them. Same with the greens, no one at this house likes those either and I can't ever disguise them well enough.
Do grow carrots, peas, LOTS of brussel sprouts (MYAH loves them!) and get some better onions. If I do lettuce again, give them shade next time so they don't get as bitter.
Stay tuned for summer progress pictures!
4 comments:
Goot Jop! as my grandfather in law would say. they are the gardeners around here. I am loving your raised beds and mulch walkways. looking spiffy this year. Do you have a big floppy hat and flowery ladies gloves yet?
They look great! I need to take pictures. I just got my carrots in the ground, they started inside. I can't find them. lol Mike swears he can see them. I had wondered about the radishes. lol No one will eat them here either. I did a couple of different lettuce only to find Mike only eats iceberg. Your carrots look yummy!
WOW!! I am so jealous! I've got some peppers going this year, and two tomato plants. We'll see if I kill them. :)
I am digging on Myah's stink eye photo. She has that one down to perfection!!!
Post a Comment